Tuesday, August 16, 2011

More thoughts on Game Funk

I think we can all identify the symptoms: Apathy, army hopping, game system hopping, feeling like you'd rather talk about/read about the game than actually playing the game.  These are all classic signs of Game Funk.  I'm a recent and frequent sufferer.  I funny thing happened during one of those mindless hours working as a drone in sector G.  I realized I don't have classic game funk, I have 40k Game Funk.

I've always maintained I prefer skirmish games, but I've always continued to play 40k.  Mostly because that's what the majority of the game store played where I previously lived.  Except for Confrontation (best game ever...) no other small scale game garnered the critical mass necessary to make a real go of it in a limited numbers gamer environment.  So between extremely enjoyable bouts of Confrontation and Warmachine there was always 40k, always would be 40k.  So I did the 40k thing.  Built an army, stomped people's nuts, built another army, rinse and repeat.  But I don't think I can continue doing that.

This has been an odd year for me, I've moved to Austin (Dragon's Lair, stop in for a game Wednesday and Thursday nights), and found new people to game with.  I've considerably downsized my collection of unpainted metal and even started painting my little toys some too.  I don't think I will make my new years resolutions for the year but I've accomplished alot of my long-term hobby control goals.

For the remainder of this year, and probably next year I am going to focus more on the games I like and less on 40k.  I've found when you play games you really like the gamer funk tends to go away.

I will be keeping 1-2 armies (right now that Dark Eldar and Chaos Space Marines) and letting the rest go. 

I will be focusing on playing Warmahordes, Malifaux, trying Helldorado, Dystopian Wars, and maybe even Anime Tactics.  If Confrontation makes a real comeback I will play the hell out of it.

I want to see how good a WarmaHordes player I can become, right now the answer is I know most of the rules but I don't think that counts.  I would like to get good enough to win games consistently against quality opposition.  I want to get an army painted.


1 comment:

  1. I'm picking up Prussians for Dystopian this Thursday, and I'll play anytime.

    I'm also going to get my Cryx finished up and ready to go; same drill.

    Game Funk comes and goes, for sure. I'm right now high as a kite with Force on Force; I played maybe a dozen games Saturday in 6 hours, including learning the rules and teaching them. It's not a competition game, though, so you might not like it as much.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment you might be surprised at the conversation it starts.