Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My Dark Eldar Thoughts

I've been building and playing (and now painting) a Dark Eldar army since about February or March I guess.  I called the MM(esno) and said, "Break out the army builder", and away we went.  I can not overestimate the value of having a sounding board, someone who tells you your ideas are crap before you spend a ton of money.  Fortunately I didn't have to deal with the "Are you an idiot" comments this time.

This list that came together from that conversation formed the foundation for my Dark Eldar.  It has evolved a little but the core remains the same, Raiders, Reavers, and Ravagers.  Without further ado, my current DE list, though with the release of the Venom kit I'm going to try a few changes.



 2000 Pts - Dark Eldar Roster

Total Roster Cost: 2000

HQ: Succubus (1#, 90 pts)
   1 Succubus, 90 pts = (base cost 65 + Agoniser 20 + Haywire Grenades 5)

HQ: Succubus (1#, 90 pts)
   1 Succubus, 90 pts = (base cost 65 + Agoniser 20 + Haywire Grenades 5)

Elite: Kabalite Trueborn (4#, 141 pts)
   3 Kabalite Trueborn, 71 pts = 3 * 12 (base cost 12) + Blaster x1 15 + Splinter Cannon x2 20
      1 Raider, 70 pts = (base cost 60) + Flickerfield 10

Elite: Kabalite Trueborn (4#, 141 pts)
   3 Kabalite Trueborn, 71 pts = 3 * 12 (base cost 12) + Blaster x1 15 + Splinter Cannon x2 20
      1 Raider, 70 pts = (base cost 60) + Flickerfield 10

Troops: Wyches (10#, 223 pts)
   8 Wyches, 96 pts = 8 * 12 (base cost 10 + Haywire Grenades 2)
      1 Hekatrix, 52 pts = (base cost 20 + Haywire Grenades 2 + Phantasm Grenade Launcher 10 + Agoniser 20)
      1 Raider, 75 pts = (base cost 60) + Shock Prow 5 + Flickerfield 10

Troops: Wyches (10#, 223 pts)
   8 Wyches, 96 pts = 8 * 12 (base cost 10 + Haywire Grenades 2)
      1 Hekatrix, 52 pts = (base cost 20 + Haywire Grenades 2 + Phantasm Grenade Launcher 10 + Agoniser 20)
      1 Raider, 75 pts = (base cost 60) + Shock Prow 5 + Flickerfield 10

Troops: Kabalite Warriors (6#, 135 pts)
   5 Kabalite Warriors, 60 pts = 5 * 9 (base cost 9) + Blaster x1 15
      1 Raider, 75 pts = (base cost 60) + Shock Prow 5 + Flickerfield 10

Troops: Kabalite Warriors (6#, 135 pts)
   5 Kabalite Warriors, 60 pts = 5 * 9 (base cost 9) + Blaster x1 15
      1 Raider, 75 pts = (base cost 60) + Shock Prow 5 + Flickerfield 10

Troops: Kabalite Warriors (6#, 135 pts)
   5 Kabalite Warriors, 60 pts = 5 * 9 (base cost 9) + Blaster x1 15
      1 Raider, 75 pts = (base cost 60) + Shock Prow 5 + Flickerfield 10

Fast Attack: Reavers (6#, 186 pts)
   5 Reavers, 134 pts = 5 * 22 (base cost 22) + Heat Lance x2 24
      1 Arena Champion, 52 pts = (base cost 32 + Agoniser 20)

Fast Attack: Reavers (3#, 78 pts)
   3 Reavers, 78 pts = 3 * 22 (base cost 22) + Heat Lance x1 12

Fast Attack: Reavers (3#, 78 pts)
   3 Reavers, 78 pts = 3 * 22 (base cost 22) + Heat Lance x1 12

Heavy Support: Ravager (1#, 115 pts)
   1 Ravager, 115 pts = (base cost 105) + Flickerfield 10

Heavy Support: Ravager (1#, 115 pts)
   1 Ravager, 115 pts = (base cost 105) + Flickerfield 10

Heavy Support: Ravager (1#, 115 pts)
   1 Ravager, 115 pts = (base cost 105) + Flickerfield 10

The list is a balanced approach to Dark Eldar.  Nothing at this point is truly sacrificial, I'm not convinced DE need it.  The list at 36" until the other guy is out of his trucks.  The Wyches + Succubus in each squad are just mean and more than capable of taking 10 marine units or multiple combat squads.  Nothing in the army is a lynch pin either.  If I go first I set-up and risk the steal.  If I go second I usually go all reserve.  I have enough units coming on that the reserve math usually works out for me even though I don't have a way to manipulate it.

Unlike most of the internet I run Disentegrators on my Ravagers.  Try it,  Its fun.  Long Fangs, even in cover don't like them at all.  Neither does anyone else static fire power.  DoA BA don't like being caught in the open by them or the wyches.  With the proliferation of Terminator based armies out there, the Disentegrators are just solid gold.  I haven't got to play GK with them yet but I'm not scared at this point.  Grey Knights die just as easily as other marines and theory hammer says I should be able to play the range game against everything except the Dreads, who get the first set of dark lances.  Shake/stun move on to the next. I did not realize that GK Dreads also have the Psychic Pilot rule.  They will have taken care of by dedicated Dark Lance fire until gone. That is going to pose a problem I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment you might be surprised at the conversation it starts.